Smith College – Campus Center
Construction of a new Campus Center at the heart of Smith College in Northampton, MA to provide students, faculty, and staff with a dynamic home for social interaction.
- Construction surrounded the long, curved, sky lit gallery at the core of the design.
- Cable-stayed skylight is a stainless steel rod-support truss glass system atop the two-story-high atrium.
- Skylight curves in two directions, expanding in width from 12 to 37 feet.
- High ceilings and curve of the building complicated MEP installations.
- Scaffolding installed at the height of the atrium.
- Tunnel added to accommodate ductwork pipes and electrical conduits.
- Tight ceiling space required 50 beam penetrations through structural beams.
- Copper roof edges and valleys.
- Lounges, exhibition areas, art studios, performance spaces, dining facilities and shops.
- Outdoor terraces to connect the surrounding landscape.
- Sheet piles and steel beams installed to protect an abandoned steam tunnel discovered during excavation.
- Awards: AIA Excellence in Design Award, Build New England Award
Tags: Academic, CM, Massachusetts, Preconstruction, Signature Project