Smith College – Brown Fine Arts Center
Renovating 130,000 SF and expanding the Fine Arts Center an additional 30,000 SF was the most ambitious capital project in the history of Smith College located in Northampton, MA.
|Designer:||Polshek Architects (now Ennead Architects)|
- Existing portion of the building fully gutted and reconstructed.
- Nearly every system and structural element was updated or replaced.
- Sky lit galleries, studio and display spaces.
- Enclosure of a 40’ high all-season atrium for receptions and exhibit openings.
- All new building systems including fenestration.
- Full roof replacement.
- Brick façade with articulated planar brick walls and large glass panels.
- Significant work to address building leakage and humidification issues in the existing building.
- Awards: AIA/New England Honor Award, Brick in Architecture Award, International Association of Lighting Designers Award of Merit, Northampton Historic Commission Preservation Award for Excellence in the Built Environment
Tags: Academic, Arts, CM, Massachusetts, Preconstruction, Renovation