Central Artery Vent Building No. 4, Boston, MA
Part of Boston’s Central Artery project, construction of Vent Building No. 4 included fresh air intake and exhaust vent stacks for the new underground Central Artery, a 310-car parking garage, and renovations to the MBTA’s Haymarket Station.
- New Vent Building consisting of three levels below grade and five levels above grade.
- Deep excavation for concrete ductwork 120-ft below grade.
- Slurry Wall pretrench and guidewall for excavation support and final substructure.
- Drilled shaft foundations.
- Sixteen reinforced concrete exhaust stacks with the tallest 125’ above street level.
- Zinc-coated stainless steel “rain screen,” architectural precast panels, and cast stone façade.
- Office space on upper floors and retail space at ground level.
- New Precast concrete framed 310-car Parking Garage.
- Garage partially constructed over the Haymarket MBTA station.
- Caissons installed through Haymarket Station.
- 24” storm drain installed in Hanover Street.
- Renovated lobby and handicapped access in the interconnected Haymarket Station.
- J/V with Walsh Northeast.
Tags: GC, Heavy, Infrastructure, Massachusetts, Railroad