UMass Amherst – South College Academic Facility
This project included renovation of the historic South College building, originally built in 1886, as well as a new four-story, 65,000 sf addition to the building.
|Client:||UMass Building Authority|
- Complete gut renovation of the historic building.
- Underpinning of existing foundations to accommodate new floor levels below existing footings.
- Shoring of existing load bearing walls/floors to allow demolition and rework to occur.
- Relocation of 300’ of steam line.
- Directional drilling to install new sewer line 18’ below grade.
- Addition is supported entirely on its own foundation system.
- A three-story sky lit atrium connects the original building.
- New common areas, faculty offices, classrooms and auditoria.
- New below-grade corridor connecting to an existing tunnel servicing the DuBois Library.
- All new super-efficient HVAC systems.
- Advanced storm water control.
- Extensive use of recycled materials.
- LEED Silver (pending)
Tags: Academic, Campus Infrastructure, CM, Historic, Massachusetts, Preconstruction, Renovation