Renovating 130,000 SF and expanding the Fine Arts Center an additional 30,000 SF was the most ambitious capital project in the history of Smith College located in Northampton, MA.
|Designer:||Polshek Architects (now Ennead Architects)|
- Existing portion of the building fully gutted and reconstructed.
- Nearly every system and structural element was updated or replaced.
- Sky lit galleries, studio and display spaces.
- Enclosure of a 40’ high all-season atrium for receptions and exhibit openings.
- All new building systems including fenestration.
- Full roof replacement.
- Brick façade with articulated planar brick walls and large glass panels.
- Significant work to address building leakage and humidification issues in the existing building.
- Awards: AIA/New England Honor Award, Brick in Architecture Award, International Association of Lighting Designers Award of Merit, Northampton Historic Commission Preservation Award for Excellence in the Built Environment
Tags: Academic, Arts, CM, Massachusetts, Preconstruction, Renovation