North and South Halls, originally built in 1823 and 1821, are two of the oldest buildings on the Amherst College campus. Project involved a complete interior and exterior renovations to both dormitories.
|Client:|| ||Amherst College|
|Designer:|| ||Sacco + McKinney|
|Size:|| ||20,000 SF|
- Complete redesign of the interior, and extensive restoration and reconstruction of the original brick walls using historically appropriate lime putty mortar.
- New copper roofing.
- New reinforcement added to the existing wood structural timbers and wood framing members.
- The House Lounges are a combination of historic woodwork and new trim around the openings.
- Chestnut timber framing were salvaged from Williston Hall and re-manufactured for the flooring, base and trim for the public spaces.